Week One: Print Decorating & Sustainability | April 28
12:00 p.m. – 12:05 p.m. Introduction
12:05 p.m. – 12:25 p.m. Metallic Decorating and Repulpability/Recyclability – An FSEA Update
Speakers: Jeff Peterson, FSEA; Scott Tacosik, Kurz Transfer Products
Jeff Peterson (FSEA Executive Director) and Scott Tacosik (FSEA Sustainability Committee Chair) will take you through the work done by the Foil & Specialty Effects Association to address concerns about the sustainability and recyclability of metallic decorating on print projects. The discussion includes:
- A new study introduced by the FSEA in December 2020 – Repulpability of Foil Decorated Paper – which was completed with the assistance of the Georgia Tech Renewable Bioproducts Institute
- Additional studies that recently have been completed or are in the works, as well as new information that addresses the amount of aluminum within metallic foils
- New discussions and partnerships with the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries and the American Forest & Paper Association
12:25 p.m. – 12:40 p.m. Industry Interview: FSEA Gold Leaf Awards Best of Show Winner – Gravure Choquet
12:50 p.m. – 1:50 p.m. Metallic Foil Decorating: Sustainability Concerns in Print and Packaging
Panel Members: Eric Longnecker, Diamond Packaging; Mike King, Eagle Systems; Rob Watts, McClean Packaging; Scott Tacosik, Kurz Transfer Products
This panel will work through several questions pertaining to metallic foil decorating and sustainability issues. Discussion points will include:
- What type of questions and feedback are you receiving from your customers and brand owners/marketers asking as it pertains to decorative foils and sustainability?
- What materials or information are you using to provide to your customers and brand owners to help educate them on the repulpability and recycling of metallic decorated paper/board?
- What does “recyclable” actually mean, and is foil-decorated paper/board considered recyclable? Is there further studies and information needed to determine this?
- How much metal (aluminum) is contained in decorative metallic foils? Is it a significant amount? Does it cause potential problems in the repulpability of paper/board?
- What further suggestions do you have for FSEA and our industry as a whole to better educate brand owners and the public on metallic decorating processes?
1:50 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Industry Interview: Phil Riebel, Sustainable Paper Group
2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. A live Q&A session with the day’s presenters